Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Faith and Fajitas


So it has been 29 days since I decided to reboot the weight loss/health kick. It's been 29 days and I have lost 0 pounds. Yes you heard me. Zero. Are you freaking kidding me? I weighed myself at personal training this morning and I almost started crying. I have been getting up at the crack of dawn to get myself back in shape. I've been eating pretty well. In truth there have been a couple weekend slip ups but for the most part I've been good. I am really frustrated. Like I sabotaged myself and didn't do my best this morning because I was so upset and ashamed and felt like giving up frustrated. I spent the entire session trying not to cry cause I had a feeling it would be one of those ugly cries. You know what I mean. All those negative nelly voices started creeping in. We had to do cross body mountain climbers and my giant bloated stomach was in the way and I couldn't even get my knee across my body. I had to fight with all of my very sleepy mental power to keep from dropping off the self depreciation cliff. I try to be as sunny and positive as I can but for any of you that are currently on the weight loss journey or have been here before you know that those negative thoughts sometimes sneak in. Those voices of the girls in my girl scout troop that compared me to a horses ass. The ones in middle school that would call me beached whale in the summer because I wore a black and white one piece to the beach. The ones in high school that said a barrage of insults and slurs and made fun of me in our high school year book. The boy I had a crush on and my best friend my senior year telling me I'd be so pretty if I just lost 20lbs. (Granted I was 5'6 and 130 at the time.) The people in my family who told me to lose weight because no one wants to marry a fat girl. Jokes on them I've been married for over 10 years now to a pretty great guy btw. Usually I can squash those voices and tell them to bugger off. Usually my "I'm super freaking awesome" power kicks in and kicks those thoughts butts. But not today. This morning the negative thoughts won. But I chalked today up to a draw. You see this morning was a total loss. Defeated and emotionally drained I was ready to quit. But I didn't. I didn't stress eat. I resolved not to quit. I didn't allow the negative thoughts to win and take me completely down. I was down for the count but never tapped out. I had my morning smoothie. I had a salad and chicken breast for lunch and I'm making Paleo Fajitas for dinner. They are super easy and a great lowfat quick meal for weekdays. Here is the recipe for all you out there in the blogosphere...

(Image borrowed from healthyseasonalrecipes.com)

Chicken Fajitas
Serves 4

4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into slices or cubes
1 Onion
1 Yellow bell pepper 
1 Red bell pepper
1 Green bell pepper
2 Garlic cloves minced
3 tsp. Chili powder
2 tsp. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tbs. Oil (I prefer coconut or canola)

Side Options: Tortillas, guacamole, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, salsa, lettuce. I like to put my fajita mix on salad with lime and homemade guacamole.

*Note: If you are in a hurry a store package of taco or fajita seasoning works, just go for the low sodium.

1. Peel the onion and slice in half. Then slice into 1/4 inch rings. Slice the peppers in half, core and remove the seeds. Cut them into slices. 
2. Mix all of the spices together in a bowl and put aside till needed. 
3. Heat oil on medium high heat in a large skillet. You want to make sure it's nice and hot to get a good sear.  Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until slightly brown around 3 minutes.
4. Add the spices and stir until the chicken is coated. Add the onion and peppers and cook for an additional 8-9 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is cooked through. (It's cooked when there is no more pink)
5. While the fajitas are cooking prepare tortillas or salad.
6. To serve place a few scoops of the lettuce or tortillas, garnish and serve.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment