Monday, April 21, 2014

Down But Not Out For The Count

So tragedy has struck my fellow sweat-a-holics. I managed to injure my foot 2 weeks into my new training regime. While I have fought hard to not quit it has limited my training schedule and the amount of movements that I can do in boot camp. Booo. And on top of that I have gained 3 pounds. While I am frustrated, I refuse to lose my resolve and give up on myself. Like I always seem to. Every time. My brain is like lets do it now and my body is like hold up wait a minute. When there is that huge disconnect between wanting it all now and healthy and for the love of Pete SLOW weight loss staying focused and motivated can become extremely hard. It's hard when you feel trapped inside your own skin. So I did something different this time. I took some time this weekend and did some research on recipes and came up with a meal plan for the week. You will only be successful in your weight loss journey if you are prepared. You can't out run bad eating. Trust me I've tried. Sort of. Here's a super simple recipe I got off PaleOMG http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-monday-seared-chicken-thighs-over-cauliflower-puree/ that I modified a little bit and it was super easy to make and the family loved it. It's gluten and dairy free, high in protein and really filling. Also because there's only 3 of us I have leftovers for a quick lunch if I need it!
(Photo from PaleOMG)


Seared Chicken Thighs With Cauliflower Puree
4 Boneless skinless chicken thighs pounded to 1/4 inch thick
4 tbs. Coconut oil. You can use any healthy oil you prefer
1 Carton pre-slice crimini mushrooms
1/4 Large onion diced
3 Minced garlic cloves
1 Head of Cauliflower
1/4 c. Light coconut milk
2 tbs. Mediterranean seasoning (or whatever you have on hand)
Salt and Pepper

Instructions
1. Cut cauliflower into florets and steam until fork tender. (I did mine in a bowl with a little water and 6 minutes in the microwave. I also let them steam in there until I was ready to puree.)
2. Heat 2 tbs. coconut oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. While pan is heating salt, pepper and season chicken breasts. When pan is hot toss in 1/3 of the garlic for about 20 seconds then place the chicken in the pan. Cook on each side 5-7 minutes.
3. While chicken is cooking heat remaining 2 tbs of coconut oil over medium heat. Add diced onions and cook till slightly translucent. Add 1/3 of the garlic and the mushrooms. Continue cooking until the mushrooms become soft.
4. Take steamed cauliflower and put it in your food processor with remaining garlic, coconut milk and salt and pepper. Puree cauliflower until it looks like mashed potatoes. (Depending on the size of your head of cauliflower you may have to add and extra tablespoon or two of coconut milk.)
5. Layer the cauliflower, mushrooms and chicken and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment